Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Sailing to Another World Via a Friend's Couch



Where was I again? That's right, after sleeping over at a friend's house, I sat in her living room. Via my Kindle for Android app, I read The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson & the Olympians, Book 2) by Rick Riordan.

The author had so carefully crafted the story that, for a moment, I forgot everything. My immersion in the story transported me alongside Percy and friends as they battle evil in several challenges in an effort to rescue a friend and save their half-blood camp.

Until, of course, my friend's daughter awoke and cried out into the darkness out of fear.

The feeling so well crafted by Riordan, among many other authors, compels me. I perpetually am in the middle of a book while looking for something to read when I'm done with the current title.

Recently Finished:  The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

The first installment of the Daniel X series got mixed reviews on GoodReads.com but I enjoyed it. I like to keep light reading on my phone for moments when I have 5 minutes of waiting. This book fit the bill perfectly.

Currently Reading: Simply Jesus: A New Vision of Who He Was, What He Did, and Why He Matters by N.T. Wright

I wrote about this book last time as well. This volume requires some thought after reading each chapter. To fully digest it will take some time, but I enjoy books which make me think. Books which challenge (or affirm) what I believe and why can only help me grow in my faith.

On deck: ???

The current plan is to watch the Harry Potter movies up to the 7th before starting the book. At this point I'm uninterested in the characters but am committed to seeing the series through.


Otherwise I have no plans for the titles on my nightstand beyond "to read." 

Of course for the library holds, I'll take those as they come available to me. I'm currently using 12 of the possible 15 holds placed on a variety of titles. Hopefully they won't all become available at the same time.


What are you reading this week? Anything I should add to my must-read list?

2 comments:

  1. Just started Glitter Baby https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1924491.Glitter_Baby
    this weekend.
    2 weeks ago on a camping weekend I devoured Debbie Macomber's Last One Home & loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Redeeming Love is SO good!! I'm reading a book on introverts and about the read a book that my friend loaned me, "Jesus, My Father, the CIA, and Me". She had posted a picture of it with a quote, and it sounded intriguing.

    ReplyDelete